The Black and White, rubber & opium, seen through warehouses & trade routes, and did Rubber really influence the invasion of Malaya in WW2? Were the first seeds planted on Fort Canning really the seeds to something much darker? Explore and trace the surprising cause and effect of some of the biggest trade successes in the history of Malaya; Who were the merchant princes? Was it really all that it seems?
- Understand the dark heritage of Rubber and Opium in a Singapore context, the surprising role of rubber in the Japanese invasion and how the tentacles of these important trade goods have reached out to affect us until today.
- Explore the back alleys and upper river quays where the warehouses for rubber and opium were located, and hear some hair-raising stories of both then and now!
- Hear the stories of the Temple of the River, find out about the hidden house of an Opium merchant, find out the location of the last Opium Den of Singapore and see a real opium pipe.
- Find out about and visit one of the last remaining housing divides, separated by a river and within sight of each other.
- Enjoy a discussion over a refreshing drink and snack in an inspiring Cafe, which organises an outreach out to the underprivileged in the neighbourhood.
- Meeting Point: Fort Canning MRT Station, Exit B
- Ending Point: The Book Cafe, 20 Martin Road
- Group size: 5 - 20 participants per Group
- Tour Time: 15:30 - 18:30
- Days of the Week: Saturdays
- Duration: 3hrs
- English-speaking guide
- Audio-guide system, headsets will be provided, but please feel free to bring your own.
- A visit to a UNESCO awarded Temple, with incredible Fengshui, back alleys, forgotten Godowns and the hidden neighbourhood across the river
- Heritage Snack in Japan Kukoh Food court
- Themed refreshments at a café over discussions
- Gift Rubber seeds and Rubber seed inspired cookies
Any food, drink or other items of a personal nature, not included in the itinerary
- Please book your tours at least two days in advance.
- Please bring your own water bottle and umbrella
- Please wear comfortable shoes
- There will be some stairs in the tour route.
Terms & Conditions:
- Voucher is valid for the selected date.
- Non-Refundable and no cancellation.
- In the case that the tour does not hit the minimum number required to run the tour (5 pax), you will be notified 24h in advance to reschedule a date.
- The activity is operational in all weather conditions except during heavy storms. In the case of cancellation, you will be given an option to book an alternative date or request for a full refund.