Get an insider-view of the Straits Chinese heritage with this interactive Joo Chiat walking and eating tour, discovering how the centuries-old traditions are translating into today's world. Find hidden architectural gems, see a Popiah Skin making demonstration, experience fresh Popiah and Kueh Pie Tee making and have a meal, see unique craftsmen and fusion temples, feel the intricate Nonya beadwork, smell the Rempah spice blends , enjoy famous crispy curry puffs and indulge in various Kueh pastries.
- Meeting Point: Joo Chiat Complex, Lobby Information Counter
- Ending Point: Kim Choo Kueh Chang
- Time: 13:30 - 16:30
- Days: Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays
- English-speaking guide
- Audio-guide system wit ear-sets. Please feel free to bring your own.
- Demonstrations, Food tastings and a Popiah skin making demonstration.
- Back alley walks, murals and colourful temples and houses.
- Peranakan heritage visit
- Surprise Gift
- Please book this tour at least 2 days in advance.
- There will be some food tastings, so please also inform us in advance if you have any dietary requirements or allergies, so that we are able to make the necessary arrangements.
- Please bring your umbrella and your own water bottle
- Please bring your mobile phone, SafeEntry / TraceTogether App or Token
Terms & Conditions:
- Voucher is valid for the selected date.
- Non-Refundable and no cancellation.
- In the case that the tour does not hit the minimum number required to run the tour (5 pax), you will be notified 24h in advance to reschedule a date.
- The activity is operational in all weather conditions except during heavy storms. In the case of cancellation, you will be given an option to book an alternative date or request for a full refund.
Patrick is an amazing tour guide. He is passion about Peranakan food, culture and Joo Chiat area. Patrick showed us around the famous popiah in Joss Chiat, and how they make the popiah skin, and you also get a chance to wrap your own. That is the best popiah I had ever had. I didn't appreciate Peranakan food until I met Patrick. Besides popiah, we also had authentic and super affordable curry puff. The sardine one tastes so yummy. The other highlight of the trip is the Peranakan culture, they customized their own plates too. And we are so lucky to find one of the most authentic Peranakan restaurant after the tour, to have our Peranakan omakase. The whole tour is so wonderful with Patrick.
Love the tour guide Patrick Lee, who is very much dedicated, passionate and knowledgeable about Joo Chiat Area. Patrick is terrific story teller with a personal touch on the history and stories of the street.
Highly recommended for family trip and foodies.
Will definitely join again!
This was the first Singapore walking tour I have been on, and if the others are any where close to this one, I would go for all of them. This was a delightful and thoroughly informative experience! I learnt loads about Joo chiat - from its inception, its food and even the darker sides to its history, which our incredible guide, Patrick, shared with us with great detail and enthusiasm. Patrick took us to many iconic spots, weaving in personal anecdotes (having grown up in the area) as well as historical facts about Joo chiat culture and Peranakan culture. We made our own popiah at the legendary kway guan huat, which was fun and delicious. Michael, the owner, was very gracious and made us feel at home in his homely restaurant. We tried different kuehs and epok epoks as we walked, ending the tour at Rumah kim choo. Overall, an afternoon more than well spent, our guide Patrick certainly made the entire experience memorable and he was not afraid to go the extra mile for us. The tour left me feeling appreciative of the blend of cultures we have here in Singapore, and inspired to find out more about places/things I might not know about Singapore's history.