Beyond the lattes, bubble teas and matcha frappes of today, has our local coffee and tea culture been truly forgotten? Discover the bygone days of our kopis (coffee) and cha (teas) and the role it had in the everyday lives of our early immigrants in this interactive walking food tour. You will never see your kopi c or teh o in the same way again!
- Meeting Point: 12 Nankin Street, Singapore 048878, at Squatters & Squalor statue
- Ending Point: Chinatown Complex (nearest MRT - Chinatown)
- Time: 11:00 - 14:00
- Days: Fridays, Saturdays
- English-speaking guide
- Audio-guide system with ear-sets. Please feel free to bring your own.
- Food, coffee and tea tastings
- Michelin recommended Bak Kut Teh Lunch with tea sampling
- Behind the scenes tour of one of Singapore's oldest Tea Merchants
- A visit to a hidden heritage shop
- Traditional tea gift
- Please book this tour at least 2 days in advance.
- Please come on the tour with an empty stomach, as lunch (Bak Kut Teh) will be provided. There will also be food and drink tastings along the way. (Halal vendors are available in the same complex, please advise us in advance so we can arrange)
- Please also inform us in advance if you have any dietary requirements or allergies.
- Please bring your umbrella and your own water bottle!
- Please bring your mobile phone, SafeEntry / TraceTogether App or Token
Terms & Conditions:
- Voucher is valid for the selected date.
- Non-Refundable and no cancellation.
- In the case that the tour does not hit the minimum number required to run the tour (5 pax), you will be notified 24h in advance to reschedule a date.
- The activity is operational in all weather conditions.
Highly informative and engaging tour, it's like an insider info storytelling session, except these are real.
It doesn't feel like 3h at all!
Think you know the origins of our Bak Kut Teh & Singapore breakfast?
Come listen to Patrick's version & decide the perspective you want to take.
Highly recommended! Gonna check out Patrick's other tours on Perspective, subsidiary of 8th wave.
I really like that 30% of the tour fees goes to beneficiaries that goes to supporting people who need a little support from the more fortunate ones in Singapore.
The tour was an excellent way for us to spend our off day. Patrick is super knowledgeable and paced the tour very well. It was not hurried and there were many times during the tour when he gave us time to allow us to appreciate the place, food and stories. As we were in no rush after the tour ended, Patrick even took us to a household shop where they sold crockery that is so familiar to anyone who has ever stayed in Singapore - the ones with the rooster and cute tingkat sets. I'd definitely recommend this tour to anyone who's keen to learn more about the culture and history of Singapore.
Excellent tour with Patrick who is a competent guide. Learn the rich history, culture and heritage. Admire the architecture we don’t notice in our daily lives. Keep up the good job Patrick! Very enjoyable indeed 😊
Enjoyed my 3 hours and more of this short tour and food. Through this tour had Learnt more of our national history something I did not expect from a leisurely tour. Not only the tea and food culture but also historical buildings around Chinatown. Such a surprise. Patrick the tour guide has also made this trip memorable for my friends and me. I would recommend this tour to others as an eye opener to learn and know more of our nation.
We joined the Kopi & Cha Tour where we tasted and learned about the history and family stories of Hokkien Street Bak Kut Teh stall, Pek Sin Choon Tea, Nanyang Old Coffee and so much more.
Can highly reccomend their tours and promise that you'll walk away with so much more appreciation for our local heritage and the business owners who continue to uphold old traditions and serving our community despite the challenges of this pandemic that we all face.