Come with us on this Food Tour to explore the heritage area around Tiong Bahru Market, and taste the history and culture of wrapped food. Why did they use certain leaves or specific plants? What's the story behind it? Is it for taste? Preservation? Try otah otah, lotus leaf rice, dumplings, Nonya kuehs and many more, and understand the why and how behind the different wraps and celebrate this sustainable food wrapping culture from yesteryear.
- Explore the different types of leaves and plants used for wraps, and understand their history and origins
- See various wraps, and understand the influence of the fragrances and flavours they give
- Meet original hawkers and stall owners, who have carried on the traditions since yesteryear, and learn how to fold a Ketupat Wrap by yourself!
- Understand how to use these sustainable wraps in a modern context
- Taste your way through all these wonderful packages - and it's a wrap!
- Meeting Point: Pasar & Fortune Teller Murals, Beside Tiong Bahru Community Center, 67A EuChin Street, Singapore 169715
- Ending Point: Tiong Bahru Market
- Min 5 - max 20 participants
- Wednesdays & Sundays, 14:30 - 17:30
- English-speaking guide
- Audio-guide system and ear-sets. Please feel free to bring your own earphones.
- Short heritage walk to spot the wraps in the murals
- Meals through many Food tastings
Visit to stalls selling various leaves used in cooking
- Try your hand at folding a Ketupat!
- Beverages during the tour are not included, please bring your own water bottle.
- Please book this tour at least 2 days in advance.
- Please come on the tour with an empty stomach, there will be many food tastings.
- Please also inform us in advance if you have any dietary requirements or allergies so that we are able to make the necessary arrangements.
- Please bring your umbrella and your own water bottle!
- Please bring your mobile phone, SafeEntry / TraceTogether App or Token
Terms & Conditions:
- Voucher is valid for the selected date.
- Non-Refundable and no cancellation.
- In the case that the tour does not hit the minimum number required to run the tour (5 pax), you will be notified 24h in advance to reschedule a date.
- The activity is operational in all weather conditions.