From its origins as a Free Port, follow the trails of Towkays and Coolies along the Quays and Market places of Singapore. Discover temples hidden in plain sight, visit the house of a Triad boss, touch an original Coolie coin and understand how their daily Gig-economy had similarities and parallels to today's economy. Explore the huge divides between the Agent recruiters and their indentured "Piglets", as the labourers were sometimes called, the role of Indian money-lenders, subsidised gambling trains, and how the Coolie-coin system effectively removed real cash rewards. This tour will upend many of your assumptions and show things in a new light.
- Explore historic UNESCO Temples which were used as a hang-out by coolies and also to boost love-luck with incense sticks!
- Understand why coolies were sometimes called "Piglets", how they were paid by Gigs and how they could spend it.
- Find out about the original subsidised Gambling trains to Malaysia!
- Enjoy a refreshing themed tea inspired drink as you explore the former house of a Triad Boss.
- Receive a Coolie-coin Cookie as a gift, while you explore.
- Meeting Point: 76 Telok Ayer St, Singapore 048464, Fuk Tai Chi Museum Entrance
- Ending Point: House of Tan Yeok Nee, 207 Clemenceau Avenue
- Group size: 5 - 20 participants per Group
- Tour Time: 14:30 - 17:30
- Days of the Week: Sundays
- Duration: 3hrs
- English-speaking guide
- Audio-guide system, headsets will be provided, but please feel free to bring your own.
- Themed Tea inspired drink in the home of a former Triad Boss, and a themed Coolie-coin cookie!
- A visit to a UNESCO awarded Temple, hidden in plain sight, with incense sticks for love-luck!
Any food, drink or other items of a personal nature, not included in the itinerary
- Please book your tours at least two days in advance.
- Please bring your own water bottle and umbrella
- Please wear comfortable shoes
- There will be some stairs in the tour route.
Terms & Conditions:
- Voucher is valid for the selected date.
- Non-Refundable and no cancellation.
- In the case that the tour does not hit the minimum number required to run the tour (5 pax), you will be notified 24h in advance to reschedule a date.
- The activity is operational in all weather conditions except during heavy storms. In the case of cancellation, you will be given an option to book an alternative date or request for a full refund.